Add new post
1. Add a title to your post
2. Select a category from the right hand side of the editing window; these categories appear in Menu. All posts under one category show when selected from the website’s top menu
3. Set a Featured image from the right hand side of the editing window
4. Add content to your post in the editing window
5. To save, click ‘Save draft’ or click ‘Publish’ on the right hand hand menu and ‘update’ every time you edit the post. You can set the visibility of the post too in the ‘Publish’ window on the left hand menu. To see the changes click ‘view post’ on the top bar of the WordPress ‘dashboard’. You can keep this window open in another tab of your browser and refresh the window every time you’ve made changes.
Highlight the part of the text, or a name, where you want a hyperlink to appear.
Click the chain icon in the editing toolbar on top of the editing window. Paste the URL in the field, click ‘open in new window’ if link is to an external site. If it’s to existing content on your site, you can choose the page from the list and don’t have to paste a URL. An internal link should appear in the same window, not in a new one. Update your post after adding the link and you can check it functions OK when viewing the post.
Creating link to PDF or Word doc file
1. click ‘add media’ on top of the content editing toolbar
2. upload the pdf/doc file into Media Library
3. select the file and click ‘insert into post’ on right hand bottom of the window
4. the file title text now shows as linked to the file on your content editing window
5. edit the file title text as relevant, deleting the title until the first letter of the title, so to not to lose the link
6. write the new title and delete the first letter now – the link is maintained
Follow the links in the editing window, or on the left hand menu to upload images to Media Library.
In Photoshop, make images 72dpi in resolution, max width 960 pixels, in jpg format. They’ll be under 1MB in size (can still show large on screen).
Insert an image to a post by clicking ‘Add Media’ on top of tool bar.
Images can be edited once you’ve placed the image on the page and clicked the pen-editing icon appearing on the corner of the image when clicked on the image.
Add caption to your image using the pen-icon link, click ‘update’, close the image editing window and click ‘update’ of your post editing window. Make the title of the image italicised by using shortcode <i> in the beginning of the title and </i> at the end of the title. Caption appears after saving changes.
Add new pages
Same process as posts, but Pages won’t appear on homepage and don’t have a ‘featuring image’.
Use soft return (shift+return) to make a line-break without adding a line gap.
For small text, such as technical details, footnotes, lists, use Font Sizes > 12pt from the toolbar. The small size doesn’t show in the editing window, but when the post is viewed in browser.
Use en-dashes [press alt+dash] in front of list items, in between years: 1971–75, in long sentences: ‘After Aegis’ prototypes prove unsatisfactory – Hesse complains that first attempts are too similar…’
Select a category for the post or page
In case you forgot this step in the beginning: Tick the category box. Otherwise the post appears under ‘Uncategorized’ and not under a menu category.
Add a new category if needed, add this to the menu from Appearance > Menus on the left hand menu of the ‘dashboard’.
A page can be without a ‘Parent’, like all the pages on this site now are, appearing in the menu without sub-pages.
Remember to ‘update’
Click ‘Update’ before viewing changes or moving away from the editing window.
More on using WordPress